del Lince Ibérico
Declared historic center
of cultural interest
Chapel of the Christ of the Agony
Neo-Gothic chapel built between 1923 and 1925 by the will of Rafael Perez de Vargas y de Quero and Maria Elvira Pñerez de Vargas, Counts of La Quinteria and Agramonte de Valdecabriel. Don Rafael, mayor of Andújar between 1924 and 1930- dictatorship of Miguel Primo de Rivera-, conceived the chapel as a private crypt for himself and his wife. The chapel is made up of a single nave, organized in two sections covered with ribbed vaults. On the feet, the choir on high; the head, trapezoidal, is decorated with five windows pointed glass. The effect of the stained glass is achieved with artificial light by enclosing the headboard with a room whose lighting source is overhead but insufficient to achieve the purpose for which they were designed. The chapel is connected to the parish of St. Mary in its first section of the nave of the Gospel.
Its facade is made of masonry and an isodomore rig is simulated. It is organized on two floors, which are highlighted with a double cornice that extends into the body of the tower, arranged on its south side. Its lintel door is decorated with a tympanum that has geometric motifs. In the second body, a pointed window with three openings of light and rosette. The facade is topped with a gable, between pinnacles, decorated by a blind oculus that contains the Carving of Christ.
The tower acquires all its development in its third body. It is a prism divided into two bodies that are separated by a slight molding and reinforced at their angles by parallel bands. The lower body is decorated, on each of its fronts, with the coat of arms of the Pérez de Vargas. Above him, the body of bells with pointed vain, folded in each of their faces, which is superimposed on a blind banded conopial arch, with lobes on its undershell. The roof, hipped, with green glazed tiles. Conceived as a spire and framed by pinnacles. The second body of the tower, which continues the organization of the facade, is decorated with two blind pointed arches with lobes on the undershell that rest on a band. The wall, decorated with the motif of sebkas.
Association of Friends of the Patrimony of Andujar
Altozano Maestro Serrano Plato
953 50 01 39
Tuesday - Sunday
WINTER: 11:30 - 13:30 / 17:30 - 20:00
SUMMER: 11:30 - 13:30 / 19:00 - 21:30